Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Black Bean and Corn Soup

Tonight my wonderful hubby and I had just finished our first round of P90X and I needed to make a quick and healthy dinner. I decided to go with a black bean and corn soup. I rummaged through my pantry and discovered that I also had lots of cans of tomatoes so I decided to add those. It was super easy, quick, and delicious.

Black Bean and Corn Soup

1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
2 (16 oz.) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 box of vegetable stock
1 can of petite diced tomatoes (I used the diced ones with jalapeno's for a kick)
1 cup corn (I used Trader Joe's frozen roasted corn)
1 cup chopped bell peppers (again Trader Joe's frozen peppers)
1 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. cumin (or more to taste)
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

Saute chopped onion, bay leaf, paprika and cumin in olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat until soft 1-2 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute for another minute.
Puree 8 oz of black beans along with can of tomatoes. (My husband and I don't like chunks of tomatoes so I pureed all of them. You can leave some chunks if you prefer)
Add the pureed mixture, beans, corn, bell peppers and vegetable stock and simmer 5-30 minutes, depending on how long you have. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf before eating.

1 comment: